289522Re: OpenSSL: TXT_DB error number 2

    Nov 19, 2012
      On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 04:03:15PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

      > > I applied the suggested changes and decided to test the server.
      > >
      > > "openssl s_client -tls1 -connect mail.example.com:25" returned
      > > "SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number". What is the problem?
      >
      > Stuff the error message into a search engine.
      >
      > The result: one ends of the connection wants to talk SSLv3 and the
      > other end supports only TLSv1.

      In this case the problem is deeper, one end is not even talking
      SSL/TLS, the "wrong version number" is a bit of a red-herring, an
      SMTP banner is misreported as an SSL record layer header with an
      unexpected protocol version.

      Avoiding this problem would have required a more bloated TLS record
      layer, so better reporting is not easy.