289289Re: Technical question to Postfix

    Nov 5, 2012
      Viktor Dukhovni:
      > On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 02:11:56PM +0100, Christian R??ner wrote:
      >
      > > > Or use "reject_unverified_recipient", which uses a cache
      > > > of previous decisions so it won't hammer the mailbox server.
      > >

      > > thank you very much. Tested it and the solution is so simple and
      > > at the same time so powerful. I wonder that there are still many
      > > people not thinking about this solution and pointing to policy-services.
      >
      > Quick question: With Dovecot (or other LMTP servers) does this
      > detect over-quota conditions? The Postfix verification probe does
      > not send any message data, just "MAIL FROM", "RCPT TO" and then
      > "RSET" + "QUIT" (or perhaps just "QUIT").

      Postfix sends the message size in the MAIL FROM command. If the
      recipient is already over quota, then the LMTP server can reject
      the message regardless of size. Otherwise, the LMTP server can
      decide if the message would put the recipient over quota.

      If this is indeed how Dovecot works, then quota checks via
      reject_unverified_recipient would be a good alternative, compared
      to policy servers or access maps.

      Wietse

      > So if the LMTP server does not reject "RCPT TO" for over-quota
      > recipients, the probe will only confirm recipient existence. Of
      > course an LMTP server should ideally detect over-quota before
      > message transfer begins, so perhaps Dovecot and other implementations
      > do that.
      >
      > --
      > Viktor.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic