288600Re: error daemon dsn code

    Oct 2, 2012
      Quanah Gibson-Mount:
      > mydestination = localhost
      > transport_maps = proxy:ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-transport.cf
      > virtual_alias_domains = proxy:ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-vad.cf
      > virtual_alias_expansion_limit = 10000
      > virtual_alias_maps = proxy:ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-vam.cf
      > virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-vmd.cf
      > virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-vmm.cf
      > virtual_transport = error

      For background, you may want to read up about address classes:

      Which address class does zre-ldap002.eng.vmware.com match?

      - virtual_alias_domains?

      If this is the address class, valid recipients in this domain
      must be aliased to a different domain. The remaining recipients
      are hard-coded to resolve to:

      transport=error
      nexthop=User unknown in virtual alias table
      recipient=localpart@...

      Yesterday's trivial-rewrite patch changes that into "5.1.1 User
      unknown...".

      - virtual_mailbox_domains?

      If this is the address class, then all known and unknown
      recipients in this domain will resolve to:

      transport=error
      nexthop=zre-ldap002.eng.vmware.com
      recipient=localpart@...

      The resolver's result may be mutated further by transport_maps
      lookups, before the error mailer submits a non-delivery notification.

      As documented,

      - The error mailer reports the value of the nexhop attribute as the
      reason for non-delivery.

      - If you specify a transport name without nexthop attribute, then
      the nexthop attribute becomes the recipient's domain.

      I could speculate that your "virtual_transport = error" causes the
      nexthop to become the recipient domain (zre-ldap002.eng.vmware.com)
      which then is reported as the reason for non-delivery, but I don't
      speculate because I have no idea what your LDAP results are.

      To find out what really happens you need to answer the questions
      above and walk through the LDAP lookups.