288052Re: Bulk Mailing Performance

  • Daniel L. Miller
    Sep 3, 2012
      On 9/2/2012 11:14 AM, Sam Jones wrote:
      > On Sun, 2012-09-02 at 15:39 +0000, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
      >> On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 10:43:07AM +0100, Sam Jones wrote:
      >>> More to satisfy my own curiosity than anything else, I'm wondering about
      >>> the performance that could be squeezed out of Postfix in a bulk mailing
      >>> capacity.
      >> Running a high volume bulk email platform is not a software problem.
      >> It is a logistics problem. Enrolling on the whitelists and feedback
      >> loops of various large email providers, handling bounce-backs,
      >> jumping through rate-limit hoops, ...
      >> I guess what I'm querying in a way is some of the sales blurb from
      >> people like PowerMTA & GreenArrow and the remarks they make about open
      >> source solutions like Postfix etc. This one in particular: "Open source
      >> Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs) often max out between 20 and 30 thousand
      >> messages per hour. GreenArrow can send 300,000 messages per hour—more
      >> than ten times as fast."

      Knowing absolutely nothing about the software mentioned - I would say
      there is a difference between messages SENT vs messages DELIVERED. I
      realize many will immediately correct me and say even Postfix can't
      guarantee delivery to a given recipient - merely acknowledgement of the
      recipient server's acceptance - but I don't know how else to
      discriminate between a single-pass of a message, without retries,
      without verification, without greylist tolerance, without reporting,
      just knock on the door and try to shove it on - vs reliable message

      Again, knowing nothing about alternatives to Postfix - I question
      whether software intended for bulk mailing purposes is designed in such
      a manner. As a crude analogy, even the best machine gun doesn't have a
      fraction of the accuracy of a quality sniper rifle - but on the other
      hand a machine gun will put a lot more lead downrange. Different tools
      for different purposes. Spray-and-Pray - or deliver the personal message.

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic