285545Re: virtual mailboxes BUT NOT virtual domain

    May 2, 2012
      lst_hoe02@...:
      > > On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 07:05:03AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > >> Michael Hellwig:
      > >>
      > >> You might want to read this document:
      > >>
      > >> http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
      > >>
      > >> This decribes what is needed to avoid "user unknown" and "relay access
      > >> denied" errors.
      > >>
      > >> After this, setting up a suitable virtual_transport in main.cf
      > >> becomes a minor detail.
      > >>

      > > Well maybe I'm really dense now, but when I look at that document, I
      > > still see that virtual mailboxes are supposed to be on their own domain,
      > > NOT on the same domain as the local users, given that the distinction
      > > between the two types of mailboxes is made via the domain?
      > >
      > > Or do I misunderstand something?
      >
      > If you want to mix local and virtual delivery in the same "external"
      > maildomain you have to split them and rewrite the mail routing
      > information in the envelope. Something like this for example
      >
      > user1@domain -> virtual1@domain
      > user2@domain -> local1@...
      >
      > and route the mail with transport maps as intended.

      More complete:

      1) To avoid "relay access denied" errors, decide if the domain is
      in the local class (mydestination) or in some other address class
      as defined in ADDRESS_CLASS_README.

      2) To avoid "user unknown" errors, provide the recipient address
      validation as required by ADDRESS_CLASS_README.

      3) Optionally, use transport_maps to redirect some recipients as
      in your example.