284899Re: smtpd_reject_footer: possible improvement

    Mar 29, 2012
      Wietse Venema:
      > Ralf Hildebrandt:
      > > * Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...>:
      > > > Hi
      > > >
      > > > i really love "smtpd_reject_footer" to put contact informations
      > > > and a hint that SMTP auth is needed in the response
      > > >
      > > > would it not make sense to add the content of "smtpd_reject_footer"
      > > > to the default-answer instead in a seperated line which can be
      > > > easily achieved by put \n at the begin
      > > >
      > > > i noticed that some software out there seems to handle it
      > > > wrong and display ONLY the reject footer at all or whatever
      > > > is the last response line
      > >
      > > Indeed. I received several error messages that had the
      > > smtpd_reject_footer reduced to what you observed.
      >
      > That is clear. However, smtpd_reject_footer is part of the stable
      > release, so it cannot be changed.
      >
      > Hence, my request for suggestions how we would document this. Maybe
      > we can use a name similar, but not identical, to "smtpd_reject_footer".

      Another option is to extend smtpd_reject_footer's feature set,
      so that

      smtpd_reject_footer = \c Text to append

      Will append the text without starting a new line. All other
      smtpd_reject_footer features would work as before.