284898Re: smtpd_reject_footer: possible improvement

  • Reindl Harald
    Mar 29, 2012
      Am 29.03.2012 22:42, schrieb Wietse Venema:
      > Ralf Hildebrandt:
      >> * Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...>:
      >>> would it not make sense to add the content of "smtpd_reject_footer"
      >>> to the default-answer instead in a seperated line which can be
      >>> easily achieved by put \n at the begin
      >>>
      >>> i noticed that some software out there seems to handle it
      >>> wrong and display ONLY the reject footer at all or whatever
      >>> is the last response line
      >>
      >> Indeed. I received several error messages that had the
      >> smtpd_reject_footer reduced to what you observed.
      >
      > That is clear. However, smtpd_reject_footer is part of the stable
      > release, so it cannot be changed.

      good argument, but on the other hand the handling of many clients
      destroys the intention of the option and possibly introduces more
      problems and it should solve intentionally

      my quoted message generated by outlook was a uncommented
      forwarding of a customer sending to a user in his own domain
      with a typo and i had already written the reply "please
      use smtp authentication in your mail-client.." because this
      is often forgot by users until i thought "wtf where is the
      real reason in this pseudo-bounce" and observed the log

      > Hence, my request for suggestions how we would document this. Maybe
      > we can use a name similar, but not identical, to "smtpd_reject_footer"

      what about a boolean option activly set to 1 for a changed
      behavior to add the "smtpd_reject_footer" directly to the
      builtin response? maybe easier to explain, but i am not good
      in documentation at all
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic