282630Re: sender delivery status notification not working

  • pritam raote
    Jan 2, 2012
      telnet localhost 25
      Trying 127.0.0.1...
      Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
      Escape character is '^]'.
      220 AAAAAAA-AAD.AAAAAAAAAAAA.com ESMTP Postfix
      ehlo localhost
      250-AAAAAAA-AAD.AAAAAAAAAAAA.com
      250-PIPELINING
      250-SIZE 31457280
      250-VRFY
      250-ETRN
      250-STARTTLS
      250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
      250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
      250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
      250 8BITMIME
      quit
      221 2.0.0 Bye

      Server does not show DSN capabilities i.e 250-DSN  how to enable that ?

      * postconf output
      ------snip---------
      smtp_discard_ehlo_keyword_address_maps =
      smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords =
      ------snip-------------

      * The smtp server-client response.
      * On the server on which DSN does not work
      0[b2b140]: SMTP Send: MAIL FROM:<AAAA@...> SIZE=390

      0[b2b140]: SMTP entering state: 0
      0[b2b140]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.0 Ok
      0[b2b140]: SMTP entering state: 5
      0[b2b140]: SMTP Send: RCPT TO:<AAAAAAAAAAAA@...>

      * On another server where it works
      0[a2b140]: SMTP Send: MAIL FROM:<AAAAAAAA@...> RET=FULL ENVID=<4F02A9CD.4060309@...> SIZE=391

      0[a2b140]: SMTP entering state: 0
      0[a2b140]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.0 Ok
      0[a2b140]: SMTP entering state: 5
      0[a2b140]: SMTP Send: RCPT TO:<AAAAAAAAA@...> NOTIFY=SUCCESS,FAILURE,DELAY ORCPT=rfc822;mailhostingserver@...

      TIA,

      On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 8:50 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
      pritam raote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > * DSN(sender delivery status notification) does not work on my box running
      > postfix.
      > * the version of postfix on the non working box is postfix-2.8.7-1

      DSN works only if:

      1 - The POSTFIX SMTP server sends the DSN announcement to the REMOTE
         SMTP client.

      2 - The REMOTE SMTP client (Thunderbird) requests DSN support.

      To find out if (1) and (2) happen, you need to report the SMTP
      commands and replies between the POSTFIX SMTP server and the REMOTE
      SMTP client (Thunderbird). You can anonymize the email address.