281963Re: Dead Destination configuration

  • Jeroen Geilman
    Dec 7, 2011
      On 2011-12-06 10:02, DN Singh wrote: Can you please name the topic, so I can search about it? It would be of great help.

      On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Jeroen Geilman <jeroen@...> wrote:
      On 2011-12-05 15:36, DN Singh wrote:
      Yes, I tried to figure it out that way, but the numbers aren't constant.

      Have you considered that this is because your submission is not 100% flat ?
      If you submit or retry in bursts (and when they block you for a fixed period of time after denying access, you WILL see clumping) then why expect their rejections to follow a different pattern ?

      As the people with much experience and experimentation on this list suggest, run separate delivery routes - with separate queues - for these slow destinations.
      All this is very well documented in the list archives.

      --
      J.

      There are two solutions you can try: within one instance, or using a separate instance, which will have its own queue.

      Within one instance, you can use a so-called *slow transport* to deliver mail to problematic domains at greatly reduced speeds.

      The basic theory behind this is described in: http://www.postfix.org/TUNING_README.html#rope

      To push mail for example.com to such a slow transport, use a transport_maps entry:

          example.com    smtp:myslowtransport

      Where myslowtransport is a service defined in master.cf.

      The more flexible solution is to set up a second instance of postfix (on an arbitrary internal port, say 127.0.0.1:2525) and push all slow mail to that instance.

      You then have complete control over queue lifetimes, backoff schedules, retry mechanisms, custom errors or deferrals, etc etc etc.

      (Sorry, I couldn't find a mailing list example in the time it took me to write this :)

      --
      J.
    • Show all 41 messages in this topic