281874Re: Low Budget Backups

  • Jim Seymour
    Dec 4, 2011
      On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 19:00:55 -0800 (PST)
      email builder <emailbuilder88@...> wrote:

      [snip]

      > OK, rsync it is.
      >
      > Can you restore a system crash with a simple
      > rsync backed set of duplicate files?
      [snip]

      Never tried it :p I suspect not.

      TBH: Other than a Unix SYS3 installation, running on a Motorola Delta
      box, that was trashed because it was in the middle of an fsck when
      the power came back up, and the power twitched again (which will do it
      every time on a non-journaled filesystem), I've never had an actual
      all-out "crash," per se. I've had some pretty badly-mangled
      filesystems, but nothing I couldn't eventually recover with the aid
      of a few file-by-file copies from tape backup.

      Then again: My policiy is that if it's important: It's on a RAID
      array.

      I could probably make my rsync-driven backup script available to you,
      if you'd like. It's production-quality code and I *believe* it's
      ready for release. It's been in-use on my server, here at home,
      since February of this year. The only reason I haven't released it,
      yet, is because, well, I kind of never got around to it :p.

      Regards,
      Jim
      filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is