281855Re: Low Budget Backups

  • Jim Seymour
    Dec 3 6:50 AM
      On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 21:52:54 -0800 (PST)
      email builder <emailbuilder88@...> wrote:

      [snip]
      > As know one seems to have any other ideas, looks like it has to be
      > some rsynch variant using whatever cheap remote storage I can find.

      Seems kind of OT for this list, but since nobody else seems to
      object...

      Two questions: Does it need to be remote, and why just the mail
      spool? Why not the entire machine?

      I'm currently backing up my machine at home to a WD "My Passport" USB
      drive, doing a monthly full and nightly differential, using a script
      that employs rsync. Each backup set looks like a full backup. Works
      like a champ. I'm going to use the same script on the new mailserver
      I'm building at work.

      I have two drives, which I swap once-a-month. The out-of-service
      drive goes in the safe. At work I'll probably do three or four, with
      at least one in the bank safety deposit vault.

      Regards,
      Jim
      filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is