279108Re: Accepting email regardless of address

    Aug 2, 2011
      On 8/2/2011 5:15 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Jason Gauthier:
      >>> Do you know what 'xyz.com' will be doing with mail you send to them where the address isn't valid on their system?
      >> Well, xyz.com will be mine. So I am not sending them email. I want to mak
      >> -e sure that once the domain is transferred that anyone who is emailing them
      >> -I can accept and the business can handle those customers appropriately. Eve
      >> -n though we do not know what email addresses are valid for that domain prese
      >> -ntly, and will have no way of knowing.
      > What happens when Postfix accepts mail for a non-existent recipient
      > in xyz.com?
      > a) Will you silently throw it away even if it is an honest typo,
      > leaving the legitimate sender in the dark?
      > b) Will you return it to the sender as non-deliverable, even if 90%
      > will have a false sender address, and you're only making the spam
      > problem worse?
      > If you accept mail without knowing that the recipient is valid, then
      > that is the choice that you have.
      > Wietse

      The example I supplied earlier showed how to enable recipient
      verification for the xyz domain using reject_unverified_recipient.

      This assumes, of course, that the xyz server correctly rejects
      unknown recipients. If it doesn't, then sell tickets to watch the
      train wreck.