277645Re: internal protocol error from sendmail for messages > message_size_limit

    Jun 1, 2011
      Paul B. Henson:
      > We recently upgraded some systems from postfix 2.6.6 to postfix 2.7.4,
      > and the behavior when trying to submit messages through the sendmail
      > interface seems to have changed.
      >
      > In the previous version, if a message exceeded the configured
      > message_size_limit, it would look like this:
      >
      > $ (printf "From: root@...\nTo: henson@...\nSubject: big email test\n\n"; yes test | head -c 10000000) | /usr/sbin/sendmail -t
      > postdrop: warning: uid=1005: File too large
      > sendmail: fatal: henson(1005): message file too big
      >
      > With the new version, it now emits:
      >
      > $ (printf "From: root@...\nTo: henson@...\nSubject: big email test\n\n"; yes test | head -c 10000000) | /usr/sbin/sendmail -t
      > sendmail: fatal: henson(1005): internal protocol error

      [FreeBSD 8.0]

      % postconf mail_version
      mail_version = 2.9-20110501
      % limit filesize 1k
      % sendmail wietse </etc/termcap
      postdrop: warning: uid=1001: File too large
      sendmail: fatal: wietse(1001): message file too big

      [Ubuntu 10.04]

      $ postconf mail_version
      mail_version = 2.9-20110219
      $ ulimit -f 1
      $ man man|sendmail wietse
      postdrop: warning: uid=1000: File too large
      sendmail: fatal: wietse(1000): message file too big

      Postfix hasn't changed, as far as I can tell. Perhaps something on
      your system has changed.

      I notice that your postdrop aborts before it logs the "File too
      large" warning. Apparently the program is killed, and that explains
      why sendmail logs the protocol error.

      You may want to investigate with "strace -f" to see what kills off
      the postdrop program. This requires root privileges (when postdrop
      runs under strace, the postdrop setgid bit is ignored).