275998Re: Configuring TLS with sender login maps

  • Ansgar Wiechers
    Apr 4, 2011
      On 2011-04-02 Reindl Harald wrote:
      > Am 02.04.2011 23:17, schrieb Jeroen Geilman:
      >> I see Mr Reindl is butting his big mouth in again
      > is your toilet broken or why is your neck so big?

      You've repeatedly shown an attitude on this list that I consider
      objectionable, to say the least. Would you mind keeping it to yourself?
      Thank you.

      >> I "should" do nothing.
      > YOU can do waht you want, but do not recommend others wrong things

      He didn't.

      >> Because the primary value of TLS on a mail client is to be able to
      >> send encrypted login information, and prevent sniffing on local LAN
      >> networks
      > *lol*
      > you know about cram-md5 / digest-md5
      > this is for login-information

      You do realize that these have other disadvantages, don't you? Like the
      requirement to store the user's unencrypted password on the server.

      >> I can only repeat that your preposterous "SHOULD" demands are silly.
      >> Guaranteed end-to-end encryption is not a job for the MTA.
      >> Use PGP or GPG to achieve message confidentiality.
      > you were the who spoke about "the majority"?
      > the majority is not using GPG!

      Which doesn't change anything about the fact that PGP/GPG is suited for
      ensuring end-to-end confidentiality, while TLS is not. TLS only ever
      guarantees encrypted transmission to the next HOP. Period. Live with it.

      Ansgar Wiechers
      --Joel Spolsky
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic