      From: Wietse Venema <wietse@...>
      To: Postfix users <postfix-users@...>
      Sent: Thu, March 31, 2011 12:56:14 PM
      Subject: Re: example showing how to track bad/bounce emails

      marshall:
      > Hello;
      >
      > I've been searching around for a while, but I've not found any documentation or
      > examples that show how you can configure Postfix to log bad/bounce/failed emails
      > to MySQL or how to read a log file and parse the bad/bounce/failed emails out of
      > it.
      >
      > The application I'm working on needs to detect emails that bounce
      > and ideally remove them from the database. If Postfix can insert
      > the bounced emails into a db table (or a log file that just contains
      > the bad email addres, one per line), that would make it pretty
      > easy to run a cron job to remove these bad emails from the
      > application's user database.

      Postfix delivers mail; it does not parse bounce messages.

      You could use the documented Postfix hooks to deliver the returned
      mail to a command that parses out the failed recipient.

      - "|command" in local alias or .forward file:
        http://www.postfix.org/local.8.html.
        http://www.postfix.org/aliases.5.html.

      - Pipe-to-command daemon; this requires a per-user transprort map entry.
        http://www.postfix.org/pipe.8.html
        http://www.postfix.org/transport.5.html

      Bounce message parsing is not trivial because a lot of systems use
      a non-standard notification format.  Using VERP solves some but
      not all of these problems (some mail systems ignore the envelope
      sender address).  http://www.postfix.org/VERP_README.html