274364RE: virtual_alias_maps and X-Original-To

  • Adam Hamer
    Feb 17, 2011
      > On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 05:03:04PM +0000, Adam Hamer wrote:
      >
      > > I have an entry in the virtual_alias_maps for a few users to be
      > > redirected to zendesk.com. zendesk requires a X-Original-To header set
      > > for some stuff to work, but it isn't added in my postfix setup.
      >
      > > I have a basic postfix setup with dovecot for virtual delivery,
      > > but from the logs it appears dovecot is not instantiated when using
      > > virtual_alias_maps since the alias means its forwarded - because its
      > > an smtp task???
      >
      > No, the aliasing is not the crux of the issue when the resulting recipient
      > is still delivered locally, but see below.

      The resulting recipient is not delivered locally - it goes to zendesk.com an email 'helpdesk' system. Essentially I have a domain Y.com which points to postfix. Postfix is configure to handle it as a virtual domain with dovecot, but some aliases are set to forward say adam@... to zendesk.com. I'm guessing those that get forwarded have nothing to do with local/mailbox delivery agent - and hence its smtp which handles it.
      > > It seems to make sense from this thread that:
      > >
      > > http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2011-January/056783.html
      > >
      > > "postfix adds X-Original-To when delivering to a mailbox
      > >
      > > - which delivery via smtp/lmtp isn't.",
      >
      > This is right, only the local(8), virtual(8) and pipe(8) (flag-dependent)
      > prepend X-Original-To. The smtp(8) and lmtp(8) delivery agents do not
      > prepend X-Original-To headers.
      >
      > > and this one:

      > > "Postfix will not add X-Original-To when forwarding mail."
      >
      > Yes, really when not using a delivery agent that is typically used for
      > outbound or relay email. In the case of lmtp(8) this should perhaps be
      > revisited at some point.

      So my alias is outbound mail - I don't use lmtp (sorry - should have clarified that).
      > > It seems filters were suggested to be used, but it doesn't seem a
      > > common approach. I'd appreciate some guidance on this - I am a newbie
      > > trying hard not to get too lost...
      >
      > Are you in fact forwarding email off-site or are you using lmtp(8) to
      > deliver email into a Dovecot IMAP store?

      Off-site. Any ideas for which way to go to make those aliases have the X-Original-To?
      > --
      > Viktor.

      Thanks,adam
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic