274362Re: virtual_alias_maps and X-Original-To

    Feb 17, 2011
      On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 05:03:04PM +0000, Adam Hamer wrote:

      > I have an entry in the virtual_alias_maps for a few users to be
      > redirected to zendesk.com. zendesk requires a X-Original-To header set
      > for some stuff to work, but it isn't added in my postfix setup.

      > I have a basic postfix setup with dovecot for virtual delivery,
      > but from the logs it appears dovecot is not instantiated when using
      > virtual_alias_maps since the alias means its forwarded - because its
      > an smtp task???

      No, the aliasing is not the crux of the issue when the resulting recipient
      is still delivered locally, but see below.

      > It seems to make sense from this thread that:
      >
      > http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2011-January/056783.html
      >
      > "postfix adds X-Original-To when delivering to a mailbox
      >
      > - which delivery via smtp/lmtp isn't.",

      This is right, only the local(8), virtual(8) and pipe(8) (flag-dependent)
      prepend X-Original-To. The smtp(8) and lmtp(8) delivery agents do not
      prepend X-Original-To headers.

      > and this one:

      > "Postfix will not add X-Original-To when forwarding mail."

      Yes, really when not using a delivery agent that is typically used for
      outbound or relay email. In the case of lmtp(8) this should perhaps be
      revisited at some point.

      > It seems filters were suggested to be used, but it doesn't seem a
      > common approach. I'd appreciate some guidance on this - I am a newbie
      > trying hard not to get too lost...

      Are you in fact forwarding email off-site or are you using lmtp(8) to
      deliver email into a Dovecot IMAP store?