273682Re: SMTP proxy????

  • Ignacio Garcia
    Feb 1, 2011
      > You are not thinking very clearly yet. You must distinguish clearly
      > between:
      >
      > - Submission, users submitting mail for outgoing delivery. This is
      > visible to users, since they set the server in question as their
      > MUAs "SMTP server". This needs its own design, and it is what I
      > thought you wanted help with.
      >
      > - Inbound MX service. Just publish appropriate MX records, and add
      > front-end SMTP servers to each of the two environments as necessary.
      > In ISP-grade implementations the SMTP inbound servers are not also
      > IMAP servers, rather they forward mail to IMAP servers (via LMTP
      > or SMTP).
      >
      > Which do you need help with? State clear requirements for either or
      > each problem, and work from there.

      yes, you're right, sorry. Maybe if I tell you what I want to do I can
      make myself clearer. We have both a submission service and inbound mx
      service. we want to have a unified smtp.mycompany.com so all
      "submissions" can be processed using this canonical domain name. i
      believe that is not too dificult. We also want to run both servers so 1
      is mx-backup of the other and viceversa. However, I forsee several
      problems here:

      - both servers need to check against both databases for valid
      destinations
      - each server must know if delivery is to be local or it has to be
      relayed to the other server.
      - one server virtual_transport=maildrop (to courier-imap), the other
      =dovecot (we are going with dovecot for the future, the one with courier
      is older, but plenty of users)

      So, is there any hope?

      Ignacio
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic