273680Re: SMTP proxy????

  • Ignacio Garcia
    Feb 1 9:11 AM
      On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 11:43:25 -0500, Victor Duchovni
      <Victor.Duchovni@...> wrote:
      > On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 05:33:14PM +0100, Ignacio Garcia wrote:
      >
      >> Hi there. Hi, I've been googling around all morning and I'm
      >> completely ignorant on what I'm going to ask, so please forgive me if I
      >> make no sense. I have 2 independent servers running
      >> postifx+mysql+(other_things) all controlled from a nice web interfacce
      >> called ISPConfig3. Those 2 servers are completely independent with many
      >> domains configured in each of them. Authentication is done against each
      >> server's separate and different mysql database. I'm testing Perdition
      >> for imap and pop3 connections so webmail access is more
      >> consistent/unified, and in case of customers with email services in both
      >> servers, we make it easier for them since the proxy redirects
      >> connections to the right imap server. My question: is there such a
      >> similar product (SMTP proxy) that can be configured in the same way to
      >> hide the real smtp servers and
      >> deliver/accept_mail_from_our_2_different_pools_of_users using the
      >> correct server?
      >
      > Well, the proxy won't know what to do before the user authenticates,
      > and you say the the authentication databases are split, so it is far
      > from clear how you expect this could work.
      >
      > However, if Perdition presents a unified IMAP interface, you could
      > perhaps use an "rimap" backend with Cyrus SASL to authenticate the
      > user.
      >
      > I am not aware of any SMTP proxies whose downstream SMTP server is
      > selected after user authentication. It is probably easiest to just
      > operate a unified submission server that authenticates the union of the
      > two sets of users, and then routes to the right server via sender-based
      > routing. In other-words, not a proxy but a store-and-forward MSA.
      >
      > Postfix can do that.

      Victor, thanks for your quick response.

      yes, I did not take into account that authentication does not always
      take place in SMTP. So I guess that leaves me with no other option but
      to consider a round robin setup. However, I'm not sure how this works.
      Do I need to setup each postfix server to accept messages from/to both
      sets of users, or in this scenario, if the first connection fails, it'll
      try the second automagically?

      Can anybody point me to a tutorail, howto, etc. on how to setup postfix
      in a round robin environment?

      Thanks so much.

      Ignacio
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic