272097Re: postscreen request: pcre support

    Dec 15, 2010
      On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:38:46AM +0100, Jeroen Koekkoek wrote:

      > I've read through the postscreen code and got a general understanding of
      > how it works internally. But judging from the documentation: is postscreen
      > intended to ever do more than allowing/disallowing client connections? e.g.
      > greylisting or specifying a follow-up service like postgrey?
      >
      > If it's not: It would be nice if the dnsbl results could be passed to the
      > follow-up smtpd process, so they in turn can be passed to a policy daemon.
      > It would save cpu cycles, etc and it would make implementing a policy
      > daemon that needs those results anyway a lot easier.

      No, for most connections that are passed on the client was already
      whitelisted, so no tests were performed and there are no results to
      pass on. There is no benefit in over-optimizing this code path, if
      DNSbl lookups were performed, the data is cached in your DNS cache,
      and another lookup will be quite cheap.

      As for policy daemons, they may run before or after Postfix performs
      any RBL lookups, and the complexity of trying to pass such data to
      them is not worth the effort.