271608Re: postscreen request: pcre support

    Dec 1, 2010
      jeroen@...:

      > On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:41:22 -0500 (EST), Wietse Venema
      > <wietse@...> wrote:
      > > Jeroen Koekkoek:
      > >> Hi,
      > >>
      > >> I would like to request pcre table support in postscreen for some fields
      >
      > >> e.g. client_name, helo_name, etc.
      > >>
      > >> For example if client is not listed on any dnsbl, but the reverse
      > >> hostname matches /\.dsl\./, the client is greylisted.
      > >>
      > >> Or if client is listed on a single dnsbl and contains something like
      > >> dialup, the connection is dropped.
      > >
      > > This functionality already exists in smtpd. There is no need to duplicate
      > > this in postscreen.
      > >
      > > Postscreen's purpose is to keep zombies away so that you can keep
      > > using the existing smtpd features.
      > >
      > > It is not a scoring system that makes a decision at the end.
      > > Instead, postscreen makes the decision as early as possible.
      > >
      > > Wietse
      >
      > Not entirely, because I can't combine scores in smtpd. I would need a
      > policy service for that (correct me if i'm wrong). So if I wanted to do
      > this check I would need an smtpd + policy service and the policy service
      > would need to do the exact same lookups in order to get a combined score
      > and make a descision based on that.

      Again. if something can already be done with smtpd plus milter or
      policy plugin or content filter then I urge you to keep using that
      already existing functionality.

      > I think it's a lot of overhead where one or two pcre checks would
      suffice. > > If I create a patch, could this feature make its way
      into postfix? > > Jeroen > >

      I don't take any code before I have seen a clear design of user
      interface (how to use) and semantics (what it does). That is,
      write the manpage and we can talk about how it would work. But I
      warn you, I will not take something that simply hard-codes PCRE
      lookups plus counter into postscreen.