271607Re: postscreen request: pcre support

  • jeroen@intuxicated.org
    Dec 1 8:56 AM
      On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:41:22 -0500 (EST), Wietse Venema
      <wietse@...> wrote:
      > Jeroen Koekkoek:
      >> Hi,
      >> I would like to request pcre table support in postscreen for some fields

      >> e.g. client_name, helo_name, etc.
      >> For example if client is not listed on any dnsbl, but the reverse
      >> hostname matches /\.dsl\./, the client is greylisted.
      >> Or if client is listed on a single dnsbl and contains something like
      >> dialup, the connection is dropped.
      > This functionality already exists in smtpd. There is no need to duplicate
      > this in postscreen.
      > Postscreen's purpose is to keep zombies away so that you can keep
      > using the existing smtpd features.
      > It is not a scoring system that makes a decision at the end.
      > Instead, postscreen makes the decision as early as possible.
      > Wietse

      Not entirely, because I can't combine scores in smtpd. I would need a
      policy service for that (correct me if i'm wrong). So if I wanted to do
      this check I would need an smtpd + policy service and the policy service
      would need to do the exact same lookups in order to get a combined score
      and make a descision based on that.

      I think it's a lot of overhead where one or two pcre checks would suffice.

      If I create a patch, could this feature make its way into postfix?

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic