267860Providing SMTP relay access to roaming laptop without creating an open relay...

  • Peter L. Berghold
    Aug 1, 2010
      Hi folks,

      In pseudo code here's how I want my outside mail exchange system to
      behave:

      if mail_sent_by_outside_host_to_inside_user
      then
      relay_to_inside_user
      elsif
      mail_sent_by_inside_host_to_inside_user
      then
      relay_to_inside_user
      elsif
      mail_sent_by_inside_host_to_outside_destination
      then
      relay_to_outside_destination
      elsif mail_being_sent_by_roaming_laptop <-- need this!!!
      relay_where_it_needs_to_go
      else
      reject

      The part that seems broken (and that is probably a good thing) right now
      is the roaming laptop part. Since I travel a lot with my laptop both
      for business and personal purposes and would like my laptop to relay
      mail through my server when "outside the cloud" so to speak, what is the
      best approach to this without breaking the MX functionality for my
      domain?

      I've read "The Book" on this subject about SASL authentication and my
      fear is if I implement that I'll not be able to receive un-authenticated
      hosts (such as the fine server that serves this list) and that would be
      a bad thing.

      Can somebody point me in the right direction and hopefully not screw
      this up?

      --
      Peter L. Berghold, Australian Cattle Dog Owner, Agility Fan, Foodie,
      Salty Old Dog and Old School Unix Hacker.