267857Re: Separate Submission Instance on Same IP as MX

  • Jeroen Geilman
    Aug 1, 2010
      On 08/01/2010 04:11 AM, Mike Morris wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm working on a mail server deployment that will only have one server
      > for MX and SASL submission purposes. Generally I like to have separate
      > Postfix instances to handle a specific task.

      Why ?
      It's totally useless in this case.
      SMTP runs on port 25, and rejects anything not_invented_here.
      Submission runs on port 587, and requires SASL.
      Simple.

      > In this case I'm running
      > in to problems when the submission instance uses the same IP address as
      > the MX instance. (Due to a limited IP address pool there is currently
      > only one routable IP address assigned to this server.)
      >
      > Using the submission instance to send a message to a recipient address
      > for which the server is also the MX host triggers Postfix' loop
      > detection. Mail for foreign addresses is relayed correctly. I realize
      > this can be done easily enough without using multiple instances.

      Indeed.

      > Is
      > there a way to work around this so that an MX instance and submission
      > instance can share single IP address?

      You're going to have to do a lot better than "I want to do this".
      Use a single instance, and save yourself some time.
      > I've gotten used to the queue,
      > logging, and configuration separation provided by multiple instances and
      > would rather like to use that approach here if I can.

      Since submission is a separate transport, it does log separately.

      > mail_version = 2.8-20100707

      UNSTABLE.
      sheesh.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic