266706Re: dealing with Yahoo slowness

  • Florin Andrei
    Jun 18, 2010
      On 06/14/2010 11:54 AM, Florin Andrei wrote:
      > Well, that does it. I got RPM packages with 2.7 from two different
      > sources. Time for testing, then upgrade, and I'll keep y'all posted with
      > the results.

      And here it is, the status update.

      I got the 2.7.0 src.rpm packages made by Simon J Mudd
      http://ftp.wl0.org/official/ and rebuilt them on my devel instance.
      Installed them on the gateways and migrated the old custom settings.

      Just this upgrade, alone, from 2.3.3 (the default version that comes
      with Red Hat 5) to 2.7.0 increased our delivery success to Yahoo by, I
      guess, 50%. Now a lot more messages get delivered before we have to
      purge the queue because it's too late. Still not perfect, but better.

      Related and relevant non-default settings:

      fragile unix - - n - 5 smtp
      -o smtp_helo_timeout=5 -o smtp_connect_timeout=5

      fragile_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
      fragile_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit = 1
      fragile_destination_rate_delay = 2s

      yahoo.com fragile:
      # bunch of other Yahoo domains here
      hotmail.com fragile:
      comcast.net fragile:

      Before the upgrade, delivery to Yahoo would get interrupted for two
      reasons: Yahoo getting annoyed by our delivery rate and stopped
      accepting messages, and users clicking the Spam button (unjustified,
      IMO, but that's another story).
      After the upgrade, it appears that the only reason why Yahoo stops
      accepting messages (it still does, even now) is users clicking Spam.

      Things I'm planning to try from now on:

      1. Use slightly more aggressive *_destination_* settings, as indicated
      by Mike Hutchinson earlier in this thread.

      2. Separate the various finicky destinations into their own pathways in
      master.cf, instead of lumping them together under "fragile". Perhaps
      even dump some of them back into general delivery, since only Yahoo
      seems to really cause trouble.

      3. Use two outbound email gateways instead of one. This might double the
      delivery rate "for free".

      4. Upgrade to 2.7.1, try to customize other parameters, etc.

      Suggestions are welcome.

      I'll keep you posted if I find anything new and notable.

      Florin Andrei
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic