266558Re: dealing with Yahoo slowness

  • Florin Andrei
    Jun 14, 2010
      On 06/10/2010 05:09 PM, Mike Hutchinson wrote:
      > yahoo_destination_concurrency_limit = 4
      > yahoo_destination_rate_delay = 1s

      Well, we do that already (concurrency = 2, rate_delay = 2s). It's still
      slow. Do you use multiple outbound email gateways?

      Maybe I should try to increase our existing parameters, it looks like
      we're using half your values.

      Looking at the Postfix queue graphs in Munin, one thing I noticed is
      that when the scheduled emails go out (it's not a continuous trickle,
      it's in batches, that's just how the software works), a fraction, maybe
      25%, go into the active queue right away, the rest seem to be dropped
      into deferred either immediately or very quickly. Then they stay in
      deferred a long time. Then they move to active for a short while, being
      delivered at a slow rate, then they fall back into deferred.

      So not only is delivery slow, but the messages spend a very long time in
      deferred, therefore amplifying the issue. They seem to spend more time
      in deferred than in active.

      Again, these are 95% @... messages which are legitimate, go to
      valid addresses, but are just being throttled by Yahoo. By my lights,
      these should spend no time in deferred.

      > yahoo_destination_recipient_limit = 5

      We send exactly one message per destination email address, so that
      setting would be redundant for us.

      > These settings can be tweaked depending on what server you're talking to.
      > However, these values work for us, after having dealt with not getting
      > 10,000 mails out per week.

      That's pretty much our order of magnitude.

      So, roughly, what's the delivery rate you managed to obtain? How many
      messages / second delivered to Yahoo? It seems like our rate is much
      lower, for some reason.

      P.S.: We're using postfix-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2 that comes with Red Hat 5. I'm
      playing with 2.7 packages and I'm contemplating an upgrade. Would there
      be any inherent benefits in my case by simply doing the upgrade? I
      noticed there are new control parameters such as
      destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit but I'm not sure how big of
      a difference they would make.

      --
      Florin Andrei
      http://florin.myip.org/