266468RE: dealing with Yahoo slowness

  • Mike Hutchinson
    Jun 10, 2010
      > > # Slow these destinations to avoid blacklisting, see
      /etc/postfix/transport
      > > for domains configured
      > > hotmail_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
      > > hotmail_destination_rate_delay = 2s
      > > hotmail_destination_recipient_limit = 5
      > > yahoo_destination_concurrency_limit = 4
      > > yahoo_destination_rate_delay = 1s
      > > yahoo_destination_recipient_limit = 5
      > >
      > > These settings can be tweaked depending on what server you're talking
      to.
      > > However, these values work for us, after having dealt with not getting
      > > 10,000 mails out per week.
      > >
      > > I hope this helps.
      >
      > Interesting. Really.

      [Michael Hutchinson]
      It is. I don't know of any other software that even comes close to
      supporting rate limiting for outgoing E-Mail. As I understand it, even
      companies that package Postfix in their NetApps are taking advantage of
      these features now.

      > FYI This should be documented better: Postfix's _rate_delay feature
      > forces a per-destination delivery concurrency of 1, so you could
      > drop the _destination_concurrency_limit settings. The Postfix
      > implementation is utterly simple: schedule one delivery, then
      > suspend delivery for N second, then schedule the next delivery.

      [Michael Hutchinson]
      I had thought, whilst I was writing the E-Mail, that this could deserve a
      howto or manual section, perhaps briefly describing a general situation that
      would reflect the real world problem of delivery of E-Mail to servers like
      Yahoo/Google, and how postfix can be configured to react in a more
      Yahoo/Google restricted manner. What assistance can I provide ?

      Cheers,
      Michael Hutchinson
      mhutchinson@...
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic