264246Re: holding local delivery

  • Vernon A. Fort
    Mar 31, 2010
      On 3/31/2010 9:58 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
      > On 3/31/2010 7:41 PM, Vernon A. Fort wrote:
      >> I have a setup where the local deliver using cyrus-imapd is located on
      >> an encrypted volume. When the server is rebooted, we will manually mount
      >> the volume and start the cyrus application. However, until we start
      >> cyrus, how can i configure postfix to accept email but defer or hold the
      >> local deliver indefinitely?
      >>
      >> we do have the maximal_queue_lifetime set to 1 day. I have set the
      >> defer_transports = local, soft_bounce = yes but when i setup the
      >> maximal_queue_lifetime to say 30 seconds, the message does get bounced
      >> back. Any suggestions?
      >>
      >> Vernon
      >
      > Why in the world would you set maximal_queue_lifetime to 30s???
      > Please point the gun away from your foot.
      >
      > The proper way to configure postfix to defer mail when cyrus is not
      > available is to ... do nothing. Let the connections to cyrus fail and
      > allow postfix to retry as it normally does.
      >
      > Is there some reason normal postfix scheduling and defer/retry won't
      > work for you? Then describe the original problem and maybe a better
      > solution can be found.
      >
      > -- Noel Jones
      The maximal_queue_lifetime-30s was for testing only - its normally set
      for 1d. The sole issues is to prevent mail from bouncing back if we
      don't get the encrypted volume mounted and cyrus started back up soon
      enough. A reasonable example would be if the server rebooted due to a
      power hiccup and we did not get the notifications quick enough.

      For now, i have a startup script to set the maximal_queue_lifetime to 1w
      using postconf -e. This seems to do the trick.

      Vernon
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic