262255Re: smtpd processes congregating at the pub

    Jan 29, 2010
      Stan Hoeppner:
      > Based on purely visual non-scientific observation (top), it seems my smtpd
      > processes on my MX hang around much longer in (Debian) 2.5.5 than they did in
      > (Debian) 2.3.8. In 2.3.8 Master seemed to build them and tear them down very

      Perhaps Debian changed this:
      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#max_idle

      The Postfix default is 100s.

      I don't really see why anyone would shorten this - that's a waste
      of CPU cycles. In particular, stopping Postfix daemons after 10s
      means that people don't have a clue about what they are doing.
      The fact that it's now increased to 30s confirms my suspicion.

      Technical correctness: the Postfix master does not terminate
      processes. Processes terminate voluntarily.