258281Specifying a transport for bounce messages

  • Jose Maria Sanchez de Ocana
    Oct 1, 2009
      My expertise with email servers & protocols is very limited. That
      being said, here is a problem I've been dealing with for a few hours
      now without finding a suitable solution:

      I run a box in Amazon's EC2, and I use postfix. In order to avoid
      being marked as a SPAM source because of EC2's IPs being dynamically
      assigned, I use AuthSMTP as a relay for my outbound email. My setup
      pretty much matches what is described at http://is.gd/3Qfay .

      Actually this is not true for ALL outbound emails. I actually love
      Gmail as a MUA, so I have most of my own domain's email accounts
      mapped to gmail accounts. For example, all incoming emails for my
      account myaccount@... are forwarded to myaccount@... .

      Thus, in order to save AuthSMTP quota, and since Gmail servers deal
      correctly with EC2 IPs (they don't take them for SPAM sources), I
      actually use the transport_maps directive as follows:

      [/etc/postfix/main.cf]:

      [/etc/postfix/transport]:
      # Syntax: .domain transport:relay_host
      gmail.com smtp:
      * :

      If I got it right, this makes all emails bound for gmail.com accounts
      to be sent directly by postfix via SMTP, whereas all other emails will
      be sent through the AuthSMTP relay.

      OK, so now here is my problem: When my postfix receives a SPAM message
      bound for one of my accounts, this email is forwarded to gmail's SMTP
      server directly. But then gmail's SPAM filter rejects this message and
      here starts my problem. AFAIK what postfix should do is bounce the
      message to the SPAM source address.

      But according to my transport file, unless the SPAM source address is
      a gmail account, postfix will attempt to send the bounce through my
      AuthSMTP relay, and my AuthSMTP quota gets quickly exhausted with all
      these SPAM bounce messages.

      What I have done is I have included the following line in my main.cf file:
      soft_bounce = yes

      This prevents the bounces to be sent through AuthSMTP, but I can see
      them getting stacked in postfix's queue:

      root@mydomain:/etc/postfix# mailq
      -Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
      233898A289 16603 Thu Oct 1 12:04:31 fahd@...
      (host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[209.85.212.99] said: 552-5.7.0 Our
      system detected an illegal attachment on your message. Please
      552-5.7.0 visit
      http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590 to 552 5.7.0
      review our attachment guidelines. 39si713908vws.28 (in reply to end of
      DATA command))
      myaccount@...

      A04908A222 68107 Thu Oct 1 11:42:23 siliconet6@...
      (host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[209.85.212.20] said: 552-5.7.0 Our
      system detected an illegal attachment on your message. Please
      552-5.7.0 visit
      http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590 to 552 5.7.0
      review our attachment guidelines. 28si15619914vws.148 (in reply to end
      of DATA command))
      myaccount@...

      I understand that this is not a real fix, and that after a time limit
      (default 5 days, I believe), postfix will eventually try to send those
      bounces through AuthSMTP anyway.

      Any ideas on how I should deal with these SPAM bounces in order to
      preserve my AuthSMTP quota?
      Is there any way I could force postfix to send bounces directly via
      SMTP instead of looking at my transport table?

      Many thanks,
      Jose
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic