240637Re: Auto Reply - user account disabled

    Jul 1, 2008
      jeff donovan:

      > On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      >
      > > jeff donovan:
      > >> Greetings
      > >>
      > >> How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
      > >> disabled?
      > >>
      > >> example.
      > >> incoming message for ' oldusername@... '
      > >> bounce
      > >> send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "
      > >
      > > You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.
      >
      > yes, thats what i told my people it's called a bounce. however they
      > would like me to create a nice message to send to the people.

      Unfortunately, having your server send email would be a bad idea.

      On today's internet your server would be harassing people about
      email that they did not send, and if your server sends out enough
      of such email, your server might even become blacklisted.

      So the safe solution is to remove the account and let the remote
      machine inform the sender.

      For the users that no longer exist, you could set up an access
      table with rules like this:

      /etc/postfix/main.cf:
      smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
      permit_mynetworks
      permit_sasl_authenticated
      reject_unauth_destination
      check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/deactivated
      ...anti-spam measures here...

      /etc/postfix/deactivated:
      user@... 554 5.1.1 This account is no longer active

      Wietse

      > >> or
      > >>
      > >> send message " oldusername has a new address "
      > >
      > > See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relocated_maps
      >
      > thanks.
      > >
      > > Wietse
      > >
      > >> insights and flames welcome