234922Re: filling incoming queue

    Feb 29, 2008
      On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:00:54PM +0100, Pavel Urban wrote:

      > [root@relay2new skripty]# tail -1000000 /var/log/maillog |./analyzuj.pl

      It would be better to print the cleanup and qmgr counts for any given
      minute on the same line, much easier to understand, but in aggregate,
      you have delivered ~93,000 messages and received ~127,000, so the queue
      is now 34,000 messages longer than 1,000,000 log entries ago.

      To drain the queue, clearly the output rate needs to exceed the input
      rate. Normally, qmgr is able to fill the active queue as fast as mail
      comes in and the incoming queue is nearly empty. In your case incoming
      queue scans are slower than the arrival rate, but deliveries from the
      active queue are fast.

      Is the queue on a very slow disk? Have you tried mounting with "noatime"?

      > [root@relay2new ~]# ls -l /var/spool/postfix/incoming/7/3/7349D7E7B3B
      > -rwx------ 1 postfix postfix 2748 Feb 29 19:54
      > /var/spool/postfix/incoming/7/3/7349D7E7B3B
      > [root@relay2new ~]# date
      > Fri Feb 29 19:54:57 CET 2008

      So timestamps don't appear to be the problem.

      > lookups are just hashed tables (.db), no ldap, no mysql.

      Why is the queue manager so I/O starved? Perhaps the disk is totally
      saturated by input processing, if so, reduce the input concurrency
      until the queue manager catches up. The work-load may be too big for
      the hardware. Consider RAID controllers with battery caches, ...