223142smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit question

  • Joey
    Jul 6, 2007

      In reading the TUNNING_README file I found smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit which I think can help in a case where someone does a dictionairy type attack on our mail server.

      I have seen several of these happen, and think this may be a way to slow that down.

          smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit (default: no limit)

              The maximum number of recipient addresses that an SMTP client may

              specify in the time interval specified with anvil_rate_time_unit

              (default: 60s).

      Assuming I set the limit to 20 if IP number 1.2.3.4 sends 1 message to 20 recipients, as in the real spam attack below ( deferred queue output ) and then in the next minute they send to 1 more message, we will then block that IP from sending mail to us?
      If so how long will that IP be blocked for?

      (lost connection with MAIL3.SERVER.NET[107.4.128.240] while sending RCPT TO)

                                               almada@...

                                               alonso1@...

                                               alonso@...

                                               altamir@...