219474Re: Correct smtp auth config...

  • Magnus Bäck
    May 1 11:09 AM
      On Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 18:07 CEST,
      Charles Marcus <CMarcus@...> wrote:

      > I just want to be sure I am clear on this...
      >
      > smtpd_sasl_auth is for incoming connections (ie, if one of my users
      > wants to be able to send mail remotely from their home connections), and
      >
      > smtp_sasl_auth is for postfix's outgoing/relay capability, ie, if I
      > want to relay outgoing mail through my ISPs smtp server and they
      > require authentication
      >
      > Is this correct?

      Yes.

      > Also, am I correct that in order to switch from using a relayhost that
      > doesn't require auth (specified just as:
      >
      > relayhost = [smtp.domain.com]
      >
      > I would:
      >
      > 1. comment out the relayhost setting in main.cf
      >
      > 2. enable:
      >
      > smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      > smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
      >
      > 3. Put the necessary entries in sasl_passwd
      >
      > 4. postmap the file, then
      >
      > 5. reload postfix?

      Yes, that's the procedure to disable the relayhost and enable
      client-side SMTP authentication. Question is, is that really
      what you want to do? Why would you disable the relayhost?
      smtp_sasl_password_maps only sets the username/password when
      Postfix has chosen to route the message to a certain host.
      You still need to set relayhost if you want to relay messages
      via your ISP.

      --
      Magnus Bäck
      magnus@...