219444Re: Setting up to send mail

  • Charles Marcus
    May 1, 2007
      Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Wade Smart:
      >> relayhost = [smtpout.secureserver.net]:3535

      > Why are you sending mail for yahoo etc. to smtpout.secureserver.net?

      (I've been trying to help him privately, both because of the help I
      received from this list when I first started with postfix, and for my
      own learning experience)

      He has a different setup...

      1. His mail is hosted by Godaddy. Godaddy is authoritative for his
      domain, wadesmart.com

      2. His local postfix box is also what he uses as his workstation.

      3. He uses fetchmail to retrieve mail from his hosted Godaddy mail
      server to his local server/workstation, running postfix (and dovecot for
      providing imap access).

      So, again, his local machine that is running postfix is *not* the
      authoritative server for his domain - he is using fetchmail/postfix
      (I've never used fetchmail either, so not sure what is required in
      postfix config to make them work together either) to grab all of his
      email from where it is hosted at Godaddy.

      This setup is not something I've ever even done/thought about, so I'm
      not sure how to help him...

      He wants his local postfix, which is running on his workstation machine,
      to be able to relay all outbound mail being sent locally through
      Godaddys smtp server. smtp.secureserver.net is the host Godaddy gave him
      for sending mail using their smtp server remotely, so I assumed that he
      should set it up like mine is here, since we do the same thing and it is
      working fine - as the relayhost.

      > That machine doesn't want such mail.

      It should - it is what he was given to use for sending mail remotely.

      >> Apr 30 17:18:56 wadesmart postfix/smtp[18874]: B0E5F14284D1:
      >> to=<wadesmart@...>,
      >> orig_to=<wade@...>,
      >> relay=smtpout.secureserver.net[64.202.165.58]:3535,

      > List mail.wadesmart.com in main.cf:mydestination.

      But wouldn't he only do that if this box was authoritative for that domain?

      I'm confused by this, since he is essentially only using this postfix as
      a relay for outbound mail.

      --

      Best regards,

      Charles