212212Re: SASL vs. M$ Outlook and Outlook Express

  • Magnus Bäck
    Jan 1, 2007
      On Monday, January 01, 2007 at 14:32 CET,
      Rene van Hoek <rene@...> wrote:

      > I did an telnet to your machine and that seems ok:
      > Leto:/Volumes renevanhoek$ telnet mail.kovarovi.org 25
      > Trying
      > Connected to bimbo.kovarovi.org.
      > Escape character is '^]'.
      > 220 mail.kovarovi.org ESMTP Postfix
      > EHLO test.a8.nl
      > 250-mail.kovarovi.org
      > 250-PIPELINING
      > 250-SIZE 10240000
      > 250-VRFY
      > 250-ETRN
      > 250-AUTH PLAIN
      > 250-AUTH=PLAIN
      > 250-8BITMIME
      > 250 DSN

      No, that's not okay. The Microsoft-style LOGIN mechanism is missing.
      More recent Microsoft clients may support the PLAIN mechansim as well,
      but since people may be running older software I'd say it's a
      requirement to provide both PLAIN and LOGIN.

      While the OP is fixing LOGIN, I suggest he fixes support for CRAM-MD5
      and DIGEST-MD5 as well so that clients won't be forced to send passwords
      in the clear.

      Magnus Bäck
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic