212211Re: header_checks or maildrop?

    Jan 1, 2007
      At 10:52 AM 1/1/2007, Crayon wrote:
      >Hi
      >
      >I'm new to postfix (having used qmail for several years). In my old setup
      >I had maildrop rules that are run on addresses which I use to receive
      >mailing lists. So for example, for an address that is used solely for
      >receiving this list, the maildrop rules would check for the presence of
      >these headers:
      >
      > Sender: owner-postfix-users@...
      >
      >If the check fails the mail is unlikely to have come from the list and is
      >most likely spam (or a direct reply from someone on the list - which I
      >don't want) and gets rejected.
      >
      >What I would like to know is, can something similar be implemented using
      >postfix's header_checks? My reading of the docs suggests it can't be done
      >because postfix only processes a single header at a time and makes a
      >decision per header.

      header_checks doesn't keep state between lines, so it can't check for
      multiple conditions as your example
      above. Maildrop/procmail/SpamAssassin or similar are well suited for
      this task.

      >Another thing is I would like to reject mails don't have a "Subject:"
      >header (or it is empty). Again, because of the way the header_checks are
      >done I don't think I can check for the absence of a particular header?

      Header_checks can detect an empty header, something like:
      /^subject: *$/ REJECT empty subject header
      (btw, the above is likely to reject legit mail) but header_checks
      cannot detect a missing header. Again,
      maildrop/procmail/SpamAssassin etc. can handle that task.

      --
      Noel Jones
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic