212204Re: SASL vs. M$ Outlook and Outlook Express

  • Rene van Hoek
    Jan 1, 2007
      Tony Earnshaw wrote:
      > Rene van Hoek wrote:
      >

      > [...]
      >
      >> I did an telnet to your machine and that seems ok:
      >>
      >> Leto:/Volumes renevanhoek$ telnet mail.kovarovi.org 25
      >> Trying 194.212.102.169...
      >> Connected to bimbo.kovarovi.org.
      >> Escape character is '^]'.
      >> 220 mail.kovarovi.org ESMTP Postfix
      >> EHLO test.a8.nl
      >> 250-mail.kovarovi.org
      >> 250-PIPELINING
      >> 250-SIZE 10240000
      >> 250-VRFY
      >> 250-ETRN
      >> 250-AUTH PLAIN
      >> 250-AUTH=PLAIN
      >> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
      >> 250-8BITMIME
      >> 250 DSN
      >>

      >> Also according to the maillog, the client don't authenticate. So the
      >> problem is as far as I can see with the configuration of the client.
      >>
      >> As an test, did you try for yourself to relay mail through your mta
      >> with Windows and Outlook? In this way you can rule-out (or confirm)
      >> client configuration mistakes.
      >
      > MS clients need AUTH LOGIN, PLAIN won't work; also it's a security
      > mistake to offer AUTH PLAIN or LOGIN without first hiding them with
      > smtpd_use_tls = yes and smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes.

      I am aware that in my configuration, usernames and passwords are sent in
      clear-text. That is an security-risk, I am aware.

      On the other hand, I have to deal with a lot of customers which find it
      difficult already to configure their e-mail client in the most simple form.

      I had to balance these two issues and therefore came up with this
      solution for our situation. Don't worry, we don't experience any
      security issues and we monitor our logs closely for unwanted relaying.

      >> Otherwise refer your client to Microsoft Support ;-)
      >
      > After OP has waited his due time and paid his due he'll get to hear the
      > same from them.

      I know, it was also a joke.

      > --Tonni

      Greetings,