212202Re: SASL vs. M$ Outlook and Outlook Express

  • Tony Earnshaw
    Jan 1, 2007
      Tom Kovar wrote:

      > I have tried it with enabling PLAIN and LOGIN, nothing changed. If I
      > remove PLAIN and have only LOGIN, the Outlook client exits immediately,
      > stating that the server does not offer a mechanism supported by Outlook
      > - so this will not be the problem, either.

      Oh yes, it is. We have MS Outlook Express and Outlook clients and they
      connect without problems. Do two things:

      1: telnet mail.barlaeus.nl 25
      ehlo mydomain.net

      See what it says.

      2: openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect mail.barlaeus.nl:25

      See what it says.

      You need the "AUTH=LOGIN" for the MS client to recognize it. You
      therefore need broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes in main.cf.

      > Btw., with IMAP, Outlook sends "AUTH PLAIN" without any problem...

      What the bleeding heck does that have to do with the price of fish?

      --Tonni

      --
      Tony Earnshaw
      Email: tonni at hetnet.nl