212195Re: SASL vs. M$ Outlook and Outlook Express

  • Tony Earnshaw
    Jan 1, 2007
      Rene van Hoek wrote:

      > I did an telnet to your machine and that seems ok:
      > Leto:/Volumes renevanhoek$ telnet mail.kovarovi.org 25
      > Trying
      > Connected to bimbo.kovarovi.org.
      > Escape character is '^]'.
      > 220 mail.kovarovi.org ESMTP Postfix
      > EHLO test.a8.nl
      > 250-mail.kovarovi.org
      > 250-PIPELINING
      > 250-SIZE 10240000
      > 250-VRFY
      > 250-ETRN
      > 250-AUTH PLAIN
      > 250-AUTH=PLAIN
      > 250-8BITMIME
      > 250 DSN
      > Also according to the maillog, the client don't authenticate. So the
      > problem is as far as I can see with the configuration of the client.
      > As an test, did you try for yourself to relay mail through your mta with
      > Windows and Outlook? In this way you can rule-out (or confirm) client
      > configuration mistakes.

      MS clients need AUTH LOGIN, PLAIN won't work; also it's a security
      mistake to offer AUTH PLAIN or LOGIN without first hiding them with
      smtpd_use_tls = yes and smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes.

      > Otherwise refer your client to Microsoft Support ;-)

      After OP has waited his due time and paid his due he'll get to hear the
      same from them.

      Tony Earnshaw
      Email: tonni at hetnet.nl
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic