204594Re: FILTER_README suggestions

  • Darron Froese
    Sep 1 9:53 AM
      On 1-Sep-06, at 8:53 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

      > Unfortunately, the text gives no example of how one would implement
      > this advice. Personally, I use no external filter so I have a hard
      > time coming up with field-tested examples.
      >
      > What do people use:

      We reject some mail directly at SMTP (reject_unknown_sender_domain,
      reject_non_fqdn_sender, check_helo_access,
      reject_unknown_recipient_domain, reject_unauth_destination,
      reject_unlisted_recipient and a manual domain name blacklist) but
      after that:

      1. Everything that matches a cable, DSL or dialup connection gets
      greylisted with tumgreyspf - configurable with a manual whitelist for
      broken mail servers.
      2. All mail with known viruses get silently discarded (amavisd-new
      and clamav)
      3. Mail gets tagged with SpamAssassin (through amavisd-new and a
      bunch of extra SA plugins)
      4. Clients have the option to discard above a certain SA score or
      filter through a web interface .

      I did up a diagram of it to figure it all out in my mind while I was
      building:

      http://nonfiction.ca/mail-arch.jpg

      Works great for us - brought down my spam levels from 300 / day with
      old Postfix and SA 2.6 down to about 2 or 3 / day.
      --
      darron froese
      principal