200170Re: Long time sending

  • Ralf Hildebrandt
    Jul 2, 2006
      * Jan Steinman <Jan@...>:

      > But sending from other machines on our network takes increasingly long
      > times after starting the server. It has been three days since a
      > restart, and it now takes about 20 seconds pause between hitting
      > "send" and having the message leave the queue.
      >
      > There are over a hundred process entries like the following:
      > postfix 2272 0.0 -0.0 27524 924 ?? S 4:33PM 0:00.03 smtpd -n smtp -t inet -u

      So your box has a lot of incoming connections. How many smtpd processes
      are configured (check master.cf to see)?

      > Checking logs, I am getting 10-20 rejects PER MINUTE! All of them
      > appear to be legit rejects -- generally "User unknown in local
      > recipient table".

      OK, that's not much. What is smtpd_error_sleep_time set to?
      % postconf smtpd_error_sleep_time
      tells you.

      > I suspect that spammers are hitting me particularly hard
      Hard? 10-20 rejects per minute is not a lot.

      > 5) Throttle the number of smtpd process instances: CONS: may increase
      > Inadvertent Denial of Service to legit SMTP traffic.

      Indeed. So why not up it?

      Show postconf -n :)

      --
      Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) spamtrap@...