196833Re: holding messages during maintenance best practice

  • Andrzej Adam Filip
    May 1, 2006
      "ml@..." <ml@...> writes:

      > I was wondering what's the best practice to handle upgrade of the
      > pop/imap server (new bigger hard-drives), i want to have no mail
      > delivery during the upgrade, and we have no secondary mx.
      > So either i can simply stop postfix, or i thought about using the HOLD
      > feature to catch mails into the queue ?
      >
      > Thanks for any advice, and if the HOLD feature is better, for any
      > HOWTO links. We receive about 40k mail/day so i want to avoid troubles

      IMHO if the expected off-line period is reasonably short (in pessimistic
      scenario) then you can choose carefully low traffic period (e.g. after
      midnight or weekend) to use "service stopped" path.

      Remember to provide yourself hefty "safety margin" for upgrade period.
      People under stress do make "mistakes".

      I suggest you using firewall to block access to the services during
      the changes to give you a chance for a few "sanity checks" before
      putting it back online/on internet.

      [these are not "postfix only" advises]

      --
      [pl2en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@... : anfi@...