195444Re: Closing policy connections to smtp causes smtps in CLOSE_WAIT

    Apr 2, 2006
      Robert Felber:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I'm trying now since 4 days to solve an annoying issue.
      >
      > smtpd opens a connection to a policy server.
      > Communication is done, attributes shared, actions done.
      >
      > Now smtp leaves the connection open, the policy server is fine
      > with that.
      >
      > Now if either the user, or the policy server decides to close
      > a idle connction, we have smtps in CLOSE_WAIT state.

      No problem. The SMTPD processes will discover that the connection
      is gone when they try to use it.

      > The smtps are hanging in a flock.

      ALL SMTPD daemons are waiting in flock or fcntl (for an exclusive
      lock on their PID file), except for the SMTPD daemons that are
      serving a client, and for the one SMTPD daemon that is waiting for
      a new client. On some platforms this is needed to prevent massive
      wakeup of multiple daemons when one client connects.