195409SMTP AUTH and Outlook clients is not working

  • Rob Tanner
    Mar 31, 2006

      We currently have SMTP AUTH enabled on our Postfix servers. Because we
      use LDAP for our password store, we only offer AUTH PLAIN as a mechanism
      (my understanding is that AUTH PLAIN is the only option with LDAP). For
      Thunderbird and Mulberry clients, this presents no problem. But OUTLOOK
      and ENTOURAGE cleints fail to authenticate and complain about no auth
      method available that the client understands. With googling, I've yet
      to even find out what auth methods those Microsoft clients support.
      What is the solution here?

      Rob Tanner
      UNIX Services Manager
      Linfield College, McMinnville OR