193577Re: Backing up indefinitely or for set time

  • Keith Matthews
    Mar 1, 2006
      On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 07:46:32 -0500
      "Brian Collins" <listbc@...> wrote:

      > > > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only
      > > > create a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be
      > > > worrying about such things get a static IP address, it will be
      > > > less work than trying to work around it.
      > >

      > > I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then change ISP. In
      > > my experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't want servers
      > > on their systems and won't provide proper support.
      >
      > That is correct. Speaking from the standpoint of an ISP, we provide
      > static IPs to those that request them for doing things like this.
      > Still, other than how to avoid being an open relay, we do not offer
      > much support .

      If you offer anything at all to people operating servers you're doing
      better than most of the big players I have to deal with. BT especially -
      all you can get out of their trained monkey types is reading from a
      script on how to set up Outlook and no deviations. (Yes I know BT runs
      it's call centre from India these days, and I have no beef with the
      people or their accents, it's the lack of training and inability to
      refer the problem to those who are better trained that gripes me).

      --
      Due to excessive spam as a result of archiving of this list I only
      accept mail through the list server.