193546Re: clock problem and postfix behaviour

  • Keith Matthews
    Mar 1 4:24 AM
      On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:58:45 +0100
      cbaegert@... wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > we had a big problem yesterday : a power loss in our datacenter.
      >
      > Our mail server restarted with a clock set to 2003, although it's a
      > brand new server (and I supposed it was a brand new battery !)
      >
      > When I saw that, I hurried to set the clock to 2006. Then the mail
      > server rejected all the messages it received but not delivered during
      > the time it was set to 2003, with "status=expired, returned to sender"
      >
      > I'm wondering if I could have done something differently to avoid this
      >
      > problem, but I don't have the answer for now. Any idea ?
      >
      > Or maybe something in Postfix could be implemented to avoid this
      > annoying behaviour ? I imagine it's not the first time that this
      > problem occurs, and it certainly won't be the last time ! After a
      > power loss, we don't have to time to read the whole Postfix manual, so
      > I think it will be better if Postfix could handle this problem
      > automatically whatever the admin mistakes !

      How would postfix know that the time had changed ?

      It's a lot easier (and safer) to ensure the time is set correctly at
      startup. I have calls to rdate (or whatever) in rc.local plus an
      invocation of ntpd.

      --
      Due to excessive spam as a result of archiving of this list I only
      accept mail through the list server.