193540Re: clock problem and postfix behaviour

  • lst_hoe01@kwsoft.de
    Mar 1, 2006
      Zitat von cbaegert@...:

      > Hi,
      >
      > we had a big problem yesterday : a power loss in our datacenter.
      >
      > Our mail server restarted with a clock set to 2003, although it's a brand new
      > server (and I supposed it was a brand new battery !)
      >
      > When I saw that, I hurried to set the clock to 2006. Then the mail server
      > rejected all the messages it received but not delivered during the time it
      > was set to 2003, with "status=expired, returned to sender"
      >
      > I'm wondering if I could have done something differently to avoid this
      > problem, but I don't have the answer for now. Any idea ?
      >
      > Or maybe something in Postfix could be implemented to avoid this annoying
      > behaviour ? I imagine it's not the first time that this problem occurs, and
      > it certainly won't be the last time ! After a power loss, we don't have to
      > time to read the whole Postfix manual, so I think it will be better if
      > Postfix could handle this problem automatically whatever the admin mistakes !

      Postfix has no other way to get the date/time than to ask the system
      clock and rely on it. If you receive mail in 2003 and flush the queue
      in 2006 you have only one attempt before the mail is expired.
      The correct way to solve the problem is to not accept new mail and
      flush the queue. If all mail is out stop postfix, set the clock and
      start postfix again.

      Regards

      Andreas
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic