189650Re: Better to do 550 instead of 450 for these?

    Jan 1, 2006
      On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 08:43:12PM -0800, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

      > CN wrote:
      > >a.com is one of my virtual domains. I get a slew of these in the log,
      > >with various_names@....
      > >
      > >Is it better to do a 550 reject on these?
      >
      > No, it's not. Someone's DNS servers may be down for a bit -- that's why
      > a 4xx is used.

      Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
      returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures. Setting the various
      reject codes to 5XX is safe and recommended once one is confident that
      the configuration is correct. This is better for the (legitimate) sender,
      because a timely bounce is much more useful than a 5 day delayed bounce.