Re: [porcfest2007] PorcFest Dates

  • Varrin Swearingen
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
      On Thursday September 7 2006 09:12, Rich Goldman wrote:
      > My thoughts. What are yours?

      Please don't let me unduly influence things here.. I'm happy for *you* to make
      the decision... but for whatever it's worth, I liked the big weekend at the
      end better. Just personal preference there...

      V-

      Varrin Swearingen varrin@...
      freestateproject.org Liberty in our Lifetime
      MD-11 First Officer World Airways
      Drums & Percussion Daniel 12:4
    • lpb52@cotse.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
        > So yeah, I was thinking more about the date for PorcFest. I'm now
        > more inclined to have the weekend first, i.e. PorcFest be June 8-15
        > rather than 11-17.

        > My thoughts. What are yours?
        > -Rich

        Unless the kids are out of school in NH (just as a guide) by then, it's a
        bad idea because it would eliminate any families who would like to stay
        longer than one Saturday/Sunday weekend. Their kids have to be in school
        during the week.

        Jenn said the kids would still be in school 6/11 - 17, so I'm thinking it
        may have to start 6/22. We want families to be able to attend.

        I can ask a friend about the Penacook area. There ought to be a website
        somewhere, or we should just poll some NH FSP'ers who have kids in school
        and find out.

        Lynn
      • Seth Cohn
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
          > Jenn said the kids would still be in school 6/11 - 17, so I'm thinking it
          > may have to start 6/22. We want families to be able to attend.
          >
          > I can ask a friend about the Penacook area. There ought to be a website
          > somewhere, or we should just poll some NH FSP'ers who have kids in school
          > and find out.

          I looked up Concord's school calendar after Jenn pointed the problem...

          June 13 is last day of school, with potential days after due to lost
          days earlier in the year (weather closures/etc) and June 16 graduation
          day.
          So yes, that week is a problem... the real question is how many does
          it affect, and should a group that embraces homeschooling/etc/etc have
          to switch from a good week, to a worse week (ie not at the camp?),
          solely due to the fact that public schools might be in the last few
          days of school (which frankly are NOT vital days, all testing is over,
          it's more about wrapping up the year - graduates are the one potential
          snafu)
        • Niklas Ludwig
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
            Re: [porcfest2007] PorcFest Dates I like the weekend at the end.  Consider us travelers from out west please.  We need the first weekend for travel.  But we need events and activities all week long, including the first day.

            Which reminds me, if we are going to use the scout camp, we need to have a day (or two) before the actual event for setup, and we may need a day after for teardown.  So negotiating an extra day or two would be helpful.

            Nik

            on 9/7/06 8:12 AM, Rich Goldman at rich1@... wrote:

            So yeah, I was thinking more about the date for PorcFest.  I'm now
            more inclined to have the weekend first, i.e. PorcFest be June 8-15
            rather than 11-17.

            The off-site trips are currently planned to occur on weekdays with
            campground-based events on the weekend.  The 8-15 date gives us the
            weekend first to orient people and allow for better socializing.
            Then we can travel about during the week together.  And then there is
            the weekend afterwards for people to travel back home or stick around
            NH a bit longer.

            My thoughts.  What are yours?
            -Rich
          • tim condon
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
              I'm with Varrin and Nik. Having all kinds of activities during the "run up week" is really fun, and the "final weekend" is the crescendo that everyone looks forward to. It's important that it be held late enough in June so that all the kids ( i.e. from all over the country) are out of school, and their parents have time to get everything together (including the kids) and out to the Free State. There. My 2 cents.  ---Tim

              --
              Timothy Condon, Esq.
              VOLLRATH-CONDON, P.A.
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
                > June 13 is last day of school, with potential days after due to lost
                > days earlier in the year (weather closures/etc) and June 16 graduation
                > day.

                That means making 6/15-6/17 the big weekend would conflict with Concord/NH
                graduation day that Saturday. For out of staters with children, assuming
                roughly the same schedule, they couldn't come that weekend.

                If you're going to start it then, I would suggest, like Varrin did, making
                the key weekend the tail end, so folks wouldn't miss anything by coming
                late. This is our big recruiting weekend -- I'll leave people more
                informed in the statistics as to how many people with families we've had
                come from out of state for PorcFest as to the potential loss.

                You might ask Kate/Jean about this year's timing, because I wonder whether
                the timing of the last weekend in June wasn't precisely for this reason.

                Lynn
              • Jenn
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
                  It depends on the location, people who get snow can have there kids in school anywhere from June 17th to the 26th due to snow days, private schools also have snow days, it seems porcfest keeps getting earlier in the year, it was July in 2005 and late June 2006, if we hope to gain more families we have to keep the kids in mind.

                  > So yeah, I was thinking more about the date for PorcFest. I'm now
                  > more inclined to have the weekend first, i.e. PorcFest be June 8-15
                  > rather than 11-17.

                  > My thoughts. What are yours?
                  > -Rich

                  Unless the kids are out of school in NH (just as a guide) by then, it's a
                  bad idea because it would eliminate any families who would like to stay
                  longer than one Saturday/Sunday weekend. Their kids have to be in school
                  during the week.

                  Jenn said the kids would still be in school 6/11 - 17, so I'm thinking it
                  may have to start 6/22. We want families to be able to attend.

                  I can ask a friend about the Penacook area. There ought to be a website
                  somewhere, or we should just poll some NH FSP'ers who have kids in school
                  and find out.

                  Lynn

                • Jon Maltz
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
                    Is the July 4th weekend impossible to get?

                    Jon

                    On 9/7/06, Jenn <ravenest@...> wrote:

                    It depends on the location, people who get snow can have there kids in school anywhere from June 17th to the 26th due to snow days, private schools also have snow days, it seems porcfest keeps getting earlier in the year, it was July in 2005 and late June 2006, if we hope to gain more families we have to keep the kids in mind.

                    > So yeah, I was thinking more about the date for PorcFest. I'm now
                    > more inclined to have the weekend first, i.e. PorcFest be June 8-15
                    > rather than 11-17.

                    > My thoughts. What are yours?
                    > -Rich

                    Unless the kids are out of school in NH (just as a guide) by then, it's a
                    bad idea because it would eliminate any families who would like to stay
                    longer than one Saturday/Sunday weekend. Their kids have to be in school
                    during the week.

                    Jenn said the kids would still be in school 6/11 - 17, so I'm thinking it
                    may have to start 6/22. We want families to be able to attend.

                    I can ask a friend about the Penacook area. There ought to be a website
                    somewhere, or we should just poll some NH FSP'ers who have kids in school
                    and find out.

                    Lynn

                    --
                    Join the Second American Revolution!
                    http://www.freestateproject.org
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
                      Next year (i.e. 2007) the 4th of July falls on a Wednesday. How about we have the PorcFest starting on Monday, June 25th, and run it through Sunday, July 1st? That would give people a chance to get home for the 4th, and it would allow those who wanted to stay in NH and explore some extra days off from work because of the 4th being right after the end of the Fest.  ---Tim

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006

                        we are not just talking about public schools but private as well.  And if you are suppose to be an organization that is open to all who share similar beliefs then the last thing you do is discourage some based on your predigest against how they choose to raise their children.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
                          > we are not just talking about public schools but private as well.

                          True.

                          No argument.

                          My real question was more along the lines of how many are affected by it...
                          Do we know?... how many people will not be able to attend IF it's held then...
                          Pushing it back solely because some schools aren't quite out (and some
                          will be, likely the week before) if that only affects a few people...
                          at the cost of a otherwise good location.

                          WIth Brian sending out the Newsletter in just a week, how about a
                          simple way to measure this? If he puts a notice like "Porcfest
                          planning help needed - when does your childs' school let out this
                          summer?" with an email address (ie porcfest@fsp) to reply to, and the
                          overwhelming feedback is too late for the planned week, then that's a
                          good reason to push it off... on the other hand, if few reply (low
                          turnout, low response, etc), at least we can question it as an
                          issue...

                          Seth
                        • Jon Maltz
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
                            Well a child's school ending date is entirely dependent on how much snow there is, and if their city can handle it.

                            July would be better for that, but damn does it get hot around these parts then . . .  Late June seemed pretty good this year.

                            Personally I couldn't think of a better place to celebrate July 4th than in the middle of PorcFest, but that may just be me . . .

                            Jon

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
                              I like that idea!

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
                                Not a good idea, unfortunately. Most people prefer to be "home" during the 4th of July celebrations, for various reasons, I think. If we had the PorcFest *during* the 4th, it would depress the turnout, possibly quite a bit.  ---Tim

                                I like that idea!

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 7, 2006
                                  Isn't New Hampshire home for lovers of freedom?  That would make a worthy poll question I think.

                                  On 9/7/06, tim condon <tim@...> wrote:

                                  Not a good idea, unfortunately. Most people prefer to be "home" during the 4th of July celebrations, for various reasons, I think. If we had the PorcFest *during* the 4th, it would depress the turnout, possibly quite a bit.  ---Tim

                                  I like that idea!